“Discipline and Hardwork is what we still Believe in.”

KOSA

Our Story

It is a long established fact that Kosa Stand Out

According to Nuhu Mohammadu Bayero, the then Dan-iyan Zazzau, the founding Headmaster of the school which Later developed into what is GSS Kuru today, the conception of the school was expressed in a letter in December 1939, when the then Plateau Provincial Education Officer, Jos, Mr. F. D Hibert, wrote to the Zaria Provincial Education Office asking for a good and qualified Teacher to be assigned to start a Senior Central School in Pankshin.

Following his success in an interview. Mallam Nuhu Bayero, as he was addressed left Zaria by train for Pankshin via Jos on 15th April 1940, only to discover on arrival that the buildings of the new Central School were not yet completed. It was in April 1941 one year after that the school was finally ready for occupation. On 1st April 1944, the school was redesignated as the Plateau Central School, because the students were drawn from the five Divisions of the then Plateau Province which were Pankshin, Jos, Jama‘a, Wamba (Southern) and Shendam Divisions.

The products of the school were -to be qualified for enrollment into higher colleges in Kaduna and Keffi and the Teachers Colleges at Toro, Okene, Ilorin, Katsina, and Gombe.

In 1947, the school was upgraded to a Junior Middle School due to its impressive progress.

On 13th February 1951. the Plateau Middle School was relocated from Pankshin to its present site at Kuru in Jos Division.

On 1st April 1951. the School was upgraded to a Senior Middle School.

On 8th October 1954. Dr. Nuhu Bayer° was transferred back to Zaria Middle School to give way to yet another upgrading that was in the making.

In 1955, the Northern Nigerian Regional Government in Kaduna reorganized the Middle School system in the Region. All Middle Schools were upgraded into full

Secondary Grammar Schools with principals in charge. And so, Mr. T. Roberts was named the first Principal of the new Plateau Provincial Secondary School. PPSS, Kuru.

The year 1962 marked a watershed in the growth and development of the school. That was the year the last set of Form Six and the first set of Form Five students together wrote the WASC Examinations at the end of their courses.

It was also in 1962 that the school introduced a double-steam system with the admission of Form 'IA and 1B classes. In 1965, when the classes reached Form Four, the students were grouped into Forms Four Science and Four Arts in preparation for WASC Examinations. It is noteworthy that in the course of time, the streaming system expanded so much that there were sets that had up to six classes in Form One, labeled as Form IA, 1B, 1C, ID, 1E, and 1F. In January 1966, the Northern Nigerian Regional Government decided to take over the running of all the Provincial Secondary Schools in the Region, as a result of which the school was renamed Government Secondary School, Kuru.

In 1967, the Cambridge University Higher School Course 'A' was introduced. Admitted students came from all over the Northern Region to study English, History and Geography at Advanced Level, while Botany and General Paper were compulsory subjects. With the restructuring of Nigeria into 12 States. and the Northern Region into Six States by the General Yakubu Gowon Administration in July 1967, GSS Kuru was handed over to the newly created Benue Plateau State.

In 1980, the Plateau State Government under the leadership of Chief Solomon Daushep Lar converted the school into a government Science School to pay special attention to the study of Science subjects and has remained so.

From 1941 to date, GSS Kuru has been contributing greatly to the general development of the country. In its early years, the products of the school made a tremendous impact in the area of sports and the discipline forces such as the Nigerian Army, Navy, Air-force, the Police, Customs, Immigration and the Prison Services. Today the products of Kuru are in every discipline of key impact in the Nigeria Economy: Medicine, Law, Banking and Financial Services, Technology, Oil and Gas, Government and Business

It is also indisputable that the products of GSS Kuru are larger in number than those of any contemporary school in the Public Service, particularly the Civil Service of Plateau State.

The role of Teachers of the Schools is highly appreciated. But worthy of special mention is the 14 years of Dr.Nuhu Bayero as the Headmaster (1940 - 54).

May God Almighty bless all the staff of GSS Kuru for molding its products into responsible citizens of the world. Amen.

The Principals of Kuru

1. N. Bayero 1951 - 1954

2. Z. Dimkav 1954 - 1955

3. T. Roberts 1955 - 1959

4. D.T. Dobson 1959 - 1963

5. M. Hibberd 1963 - 1963

6. S.A. Skilbert 1963 - 1965

7. J. Gordon 1965 - 1978

8. S.T. Kalamu 1978 - 1979

9. P.P Mwoltu 1979

10. T.T Rabo 1979 - 1980

11. L.L Buenyen 1981 - 1982

12. U.D. Mairiga 1982 - 1983

.

13. D.D. Penzin 1983 - 1984

14. O.K. Gutip 1984 - 1987

15. M.D. Dikwal 1987 - 1991

16. H.B. Selzin 1991 - 1994

17. S.S. Dangfa 1994 - 1998

18. T.I. Gontur 1998 - 1999

19. S.S. Dangfa 1999 - 2000

20. G.B. Davuram 2000 - 2004

21. A.D. Dayar 2004 - 2007

22. T.Zwalnap (Junior Section) 2005 - 2007

23. D.S. Dandiye (Senior Section) 2007 - 2012

24. S. Senbak (Junior Section) 2007 - 2012

25. Davou Samuel Dung (Sancho) 2012 - Date

Kuru Old Student Association is guided strictly by our Constitution.

Take a look at the Constitution